Many may not think to turn to a dermatologist for hair loss, but this is an issue Dr. Myers can help address. Additionally, hair loss is not isolated to the follicles on a person’s head – eyelash thinning can be a traumatic experience and cause the individual to become self-conscious of their appearance.
From thyroid conditions to allergies and blepharitis (explained below), there are many varying reasons why your eyelashes may be thinning or falling out.
Some of the main causes of eyelash loss include:
- Chemical Allergy to Mascara – This can actually be quite common. The chemicals used in popular mascaras can cause itchiness, swelling and watery eyes.
- Blepharitis – Commonly known as inflation of the eyelids, this is one of the most common reasons for eyelashes falling out and is usually caused by infection, trauma or allergies.
- Alopecia Areata – Also known as AA, this physical condition is where the immune system breaks down and attacks hair follicles on the body.
- Thyroid Condition – There are two varying types of thyroid conditions and both can have a negative effect on your eyelashes. If you see dull, coarse or brittle eyelashes, seek the opinion of a doctor.
- Trichotillomania Tangle – A psychological condition when someone knowingly or even unknowingly pulls out their eyelashes due to stress or tension.
Natural eyelash loss can also occur, so it is important to avoid panicking. Weak lashes usually fall out and are then quickly replaced with new, healthy lashes. As long as your eyelashes are steadily growing back, you have nothing to worry about.
No matter the cause of eyelash loss, we look at ways that everyone can improve their lashes, in length and in volume. In some cases, even if your eyelashes grow back steadily, people like to enhance their lashes using prescription treatments, such as Latisse. This is a product we carry and are able to provide a prescription.
If you are located in Charleston and are interested in eyelash treatments or have concerns about hair loss, make an appointment with us – we provide next day appointments with our dermatologist and specialists.